Alpine’s Marine line was recently named “Favorite Stereo Manufacturer” in Powerboat magazine’s 2010 Readers’ Choice Awards! Readers were asked to submit their favorite brands within 20 different marine categories. Alpine’s line of dedicated marine products came out on top in the audio category!
Alpine introduces a new 5-channel, system-building amplifier, specially engineered for the Marine environment. The PDX-5M still embodies the same compact chassis size as the rest of the PDX lineup, with 90% efficiency at all power levels for precise, powerful sound.
Good things really do come in small, stackable packages. Who knew something so small could pump out so much power? The Alpine PDX series amplifiers are for the true enthusiast – those who want the best power, sound quality, and efficiency, all from a compact size. Get the most out of your system with Digital PDX.
Built for the Elements
Your normal car audio components can’t take the abuse of the Marine environment for long. The elements like water, salt/fog, and the blazing sun can cause your system to quickly breakdown in a short period of time. Because of this, Alpine has engineered the PDX-5M to withstand the harsh Marine environment. The PDX-5M has undergone rigorous ATSM-B117 testing for salt/fog to help prevent corrosion. The outside case passes the ASTM-G154/D4329 accelerated weather test for superior UV protection to prevent sun damage. All this attention to detail will provide the best sound experience and reliable performance on the water for your boat season after season.
System Building Made Easy
Want to build a basic system for your boat to start out? Do you have limited space but still want dynamic sound? Then the best amp to start with is the PDX-5M. With this one amp, you can connect four speakers and a subwoofer for outstanding sound quality. The amp provides 75 watts RMS to four channels and an incredible 300 watts RMS to a subwoofer. You get everything you need to power a complete system with the PDX-5M for loud and clean sound while you are cruising on the open water.
Accurate Dynamic Sound Reproduction
Alpine’s goal is to deliver the best sound quality possible. With the PDX series, digital switch-mode amplification yields incredible sound quality. Advances in the PDX design include improved feedback circuitry to faithfully reproduce the input signal for improved dynamic range and higher fidelity. If youâ€™re listening to your favorite rock song, your amp is ready to jump from loud to calm and back again with ease.
The PDX amplifiers’ unique design allow for a clean, easy, and fast install in your boat! All the controls and wiring connections are in one convenient location.
PDX amplifiers are 60% smaller than previous models with the same output power. Install your amps easily without sacrificing valuable room, power and performance.
The PDX amplifiers feature a smart stackable design. All PDX amplifiers are the same size, regardless of the amount of power or channel specifications. Their exclusive design allows them to be stacked vertically on top of one another. This is an industry-first installation option that saves a ton of space in a storage compartment or under the bow.
Low Resistance, High Current Speaker Terminals
Quick disconnect plugs with low resistance and high current capabilities make installing quick and easy.
More Power, Better Sound
PDX amplifiers deliver outstanding sound quality. The revolutionary design of the PDX incorporates improved feedback circuitry and power supply filtering system, plus a damping factor that is 350% better than Class A/B amps.
Unprecedented Sound Matching & Accuracy
A highly effective Powerful Feedback Circuit accurately compares the amplifier’s output against the original music signal. If there are any differences found between the two, the feedback circuit automatically removes the distortion in real-time! This keeps your music true to the original recording without added distortion or filter noise.
Same Power Output – 2Ω or 4Ω Configuration
PDX amplifiers have the unique capability to deliver the same power output regardless of 2Ω and 4Ω loads. This provides the ultimate in system flexibility and subwoofer configuration diversity.
Power On Demand*
A combination of an advanced power supply, Class-D design, and switch-mode digital amplification allow PDX amplifiers to stay extremely efficient at all power levels. This produces less heat, eliminating the need for large heat sinks, just another reason why they can be much more compact than conventional amps.
The PDX amplifiers use Direct FETs device to make switch-mode digital possible. Direct FETs are very small output devices that take up less room and they switch on and off extremely fast when needed. Their ultra high-speed switching capabilities allow them to perform at frequencies that other Class-D amplifiers struggle to reproduce. This provides control over power consumption, and cooler operation.
*Full Range PDX Amplifiers Only (PDX-4.150, PDX-4.100, PDX-2.150 & PDX-5, PDX-5M)
Features and Specification
CEA-2006 Power Ratings
- CEA-2006 Power Rating: (4 I? @14.4V Ƈ% THD+N, S/N: 77dBA, ref:1W into 4 I? and 2I? for mono ch.) 75W x 4 + 300W x 1
RMS Power Ratings
- Per channel into 4 Ohms: (@ 14.4V Ƈ%THD+N, 20Hz – 20kHz @ 4I? for 4ch.) 75W x 4
- Per channel into 2 Ohms: (@ 14.4V Ƈ%THD+N, 20Hz – 200Hz @ 2I? for Mono ch.) 300W x 1
- Crossover: 30Hz-400Hz, -12dB/oct. (Low-Pass/High-Pass for 4CH), 20Hz-200Hz, -24dB/oct. (Low-Pass for Mono)
- Subsonic Filter: 15Hz (Fixed), -24dB/oct. for Mono
- Foot Print (WxHxD) mm: 257mm x 62mm x 192mm
- Foot Print (WxHxD) in: 10-1/8” x 2-13/32” x 7-35/64”
- Heat Sink (WxHxD) mm: 257mm x 62mm x 192mm
- Heat Sink (WxHxD) in: 10-1/8” x 2-13/32” x 7-35/64”
- Terminal Layout: One-Side
- Screw Mount / Wire Cover: Insert Screw Terminals and Plug-in Speaker Terminals
- Mounting Design: Stacking Install
- Amplifier Type: Class-D
- Channel Design: 4 Channel + 1 Channel (Mono)
- Thermal Control: Thermal Management Control
- Power Supply: DC-DC PWM Power Supply
- Power Supply Design: Direct FET Power
- Board Circuitry: STAR Circuitry
- Current Protection: Over-Current, Over-Voltage and Thermal Protection
- Power Indicator: Top/Side Mounted LED Power/Status Indicator
- RCA Output: Gold Plated RCA Input Connectors
- Crossover: Adjustable Low-Pass/High-Pass
- Connector Plating: Gold Plated Input, Output, Power and Speaker Terminals
- Pre-Amp Stage: Discrete
- Board Design: Dual Sided Glass Epoxy PC Board
- Gain Control: Continuously Adjustable Gain Control